Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Dear Future Self - A Letter Series About Lessons I Have Learned

Dear Future Self,

Over the past few months I have started a new job and, well I'm not sure if this is because of the new job or not, but I have been noticing something specific about leadership.

There are those who are leaders and those who are doers. It becomes clear who is who once you learn to see the signs. Something small is all it takes. For example, I have recently heard people ask me if they were correct. They would say something that they felt, like a bottle cap is screwed on really tight, and then say, "Don't you think so?" They ask me to confirm their feelings or opinions. These are not young people either.

On the other hand, there are some people who speak with authority. They say things they mean and if it is an opinion, it is clear that they know that. They would say, "This bottle cap was screwed on very tightly."

Leaders are never concerned with others confirming their opinions. However, if they made a mistake, they are usually the first ones to admit it.

Some people could never be leaders. And that is perfectly fine. Imagine if everyone wanted to lead! Those who are not leaders, I call doers. Tell a doer to do something and it will get done. You might have to explain exactly how and when to do the thing, but it will be completed.

It will be interesting to see if this observation holds true over the years or if I end up expanding on it. Only time will tell on that one!

Written 7/22/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment