Monday, December 31, 2012

Odd Meals

Over the past few years, the times that we eat have changed. No longer are there defined breakfast, lunch, and dinner hours. Instead, we have breakfast, brunch, lunch, "late lunch", dinner, and fourth meal. 

I believe this is due to a number of factors including changing work habits, increased flexibility in scheduling, increased availability in prepackaged foods and ready made meals, and the fact that fewer people consider eating as a family around a dinner table to be important. 

I first started noticing this trend in collage when, due to varied class times, I found myself eating at odd hours between classes. Even now, I have breakfast around 10, lunch at 3, and dinner sometime between 5 and 9.

Not saying that this is wrong or anything, just that it is changing.  

Perhaps we should start calling them 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th meal instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment